May 28, 2015
5×5 Read Indy: An Event Recap

Indiana Humanities and our friends at Indy Reads are thrilled with the success of Read Indy, a 5×5 series event. Circle City residents joined us on the evening of Thursday May 14 at Fountain Square Theatre to eat, drink and be inspired.

With only five minutes and five slides, each of our five finalists delivered thought-provoking presentations details unique ideas including an outdoor library accessible by bike and a form of poetry that would encourage Hoosiers to lead a healthy lifestyle! Guests enjoyed delightful appetizers and free Sun King beer as they voted for one presenter to receive $10,000.

The audience vote accounted for 20 percent of the overall total while the other 80 percent was determined by four of Indy’s finest who served as judges. Huge shout-out to our amazing judges – Brittany Smith, Mali Jeffers, Ben Winters and Bryan Luellen.

After much anticipation, we announced our winners, Phyllis Viola Boyd and LaShawnda Crowe Storm! The duo was the last to present, introducing the crowd to The House Poem Project – a program that will transform blighted homes with murals of original poetry from the community.

The evening ended with a celebration at New Day Meadery where guests could mingle while indulging in mead/cider and hors d’oeuvres.

For an inside look at the festivities, check out the 5×5 Read Indy album on Flickr.

 

5x5 finalists strike a pose before taking the stage for presentations.
5x5 finalists strike a pose before taking the stage for presentations.
Congratulations to 5x5 winners Phyllis Viola Boyd and LaShawnda Crowe Storm.
Congratulations to 5x5 winners Phyllis Viola Boyd and LaShawnda Crowe Storm.
Posted In: Events