Campfires: White River Float (Indianapolis)
Join us for an exciting journey down the White River!
Campfires: Grand Calumet River Conservation Area (Hammond)
Join us for a trek through The Nature Conservancy's Grand Calumet River Conservation Area in northwest Indiana!
Campfires: zona de conservación del Grand Calumet (Hammond)
Súmate a una excursión en Indiana nororiental por la ribera del río Calumet.
Campfires: Blatchley Nature Study Club (Noblesville)
Join us for a flora-filled walk on this private nature preserve where Fox Prairie Creek joins the White River.
Campfires: Flatwoods Park (Gosport)
Trek and talk with us at Flatwoods Park, the largest park in Monroe County!
Campfires: Blue River Paddle (Corydon)
Join us for an excursion through southern Indiana on the Blue River!
May 7 | Cope Environmental Center
Centerville | Tickets
Join us for a trek through forests, grasslands, wetlands, prairies and ponds starting at Cope Environmental Center in Centerville!
June 18 | Hazel Landing to Oliver’s WoodsTICKETSHamilton County (float trip) |
We’ll paddle through a portion of northeast Indianapolis as we explore a popular spot from a new angle and consider the ways we can continue working to preserve this beautiful area.
July 23 | Blatchley Nature Study ClubTICKETSNoblesville |
Discover new connections on a flora-filled walk on this private nature preserve where Fox Prairie Creek joins the White River. We’ll walk boardwalks and hike up and down a few hills as we consider the ways watersheds tie us to Hoosiers near and far.
July 30 | Seidner Dune & SwaleTICKETSHammond |
Lace up your boots and hike through the Grand Calumet River Conservation Area (beginning at Seidner Dune & Swale Nature Preserve) with The Nature Conservancy. The trail traverses a mosaic of habitats, including a globally rare natural community known as dune and swale.
July 30 | En la reserva natural Seidner Dune & Swale
Hammond | ENTRADAS
Súmate a una excursión en Indiana nororiental por la ribera del río Calumet. Vamos a hacer senderismo por la zona de conservación del río Grand Calumet con The Nature Conservancy. En el sendero atravesaremos una panoplia de hábitats, en particular un hábitat muy raro a nivel mundial llamado duna y paular. Durante el camino observaremos una flora y fauna increíblemente diversa.
August 13 | Flatwoods ParkTICKETSGosport (accessible trek) |
Join us for a trek through Flatwoods Park, Monroe County’s largest park, to read, think and talk about trees. Led by naturalist Autumn Brunelle, we’ll learn to identify several species of trees while reading passages that encourage us to learn from trees and what they can teach us about ourselves and our environments.
September 17 | Blue RiverTICKETSCorydon (paddling trip) |
Don a life vest for an excursion through southern Indiana on the Blue River! The Corydon region is loaded with early Indiana history, and we’re excited to paddle through the area as we consider the ways that this winding path has influenced naturalists, artists, and other Hoosiers.
Originally called Next Indiana Campfires, this program was created in 2016 to help celebrate Indiana’s bicentennial. Since then, we’ve checked off some of our bucket-list experiences around the state. Here are the wild places we’ve explored so far (links take you to blog posts about the experiences):
- Oliver’s Woods (May 11, 2016)
- Wesselman Woods Old Growth Forest (May 22, 2016)
- McVey Memorial Forest (June 7, 2016)
- Syracuse-Wawasee Trails (June 9, 2016)
- Indiana Dunes National Lakeshore (June 18, 2016)
- Merry Lea Learning Center of Goshen College (July 23, 2016)
- Eagle Creek Park (July 29, 2016)
- Prophetstown State Park (Aug. 5, 2016)
- Cardinal Greenway and Red-tail Nature Preserve (Aug. 14, 2016)
- Indiana Dunes National Lakeshore (Sept. 10, 2016)
- Cope Environmental Center (Sept. 29, 2016)
- Trail Creek Watershed (Oct. 8, 2016)
- Limberlost State Historic Site (Oct. 8, 2016)
- Marian University Nina Mason Pulliam EcoLab (Oct. 21, 2016)
- Glaciers End Nature Preserve (Oct. 29, 2016)
- Morgan-Monroe State Forest (Nov. 5, 2016)
- Meltzer Woods Nature Preserve (April 15, 2017)
- Hanover College (May 3, 2017)
- Fall Creek Woods (July 16, 2017)
- Eagle Creek Reservoir (Aug. 18, 2017)
- Tom and Jane Dustin Nature Preserve (Oct. 12, 2017)
- Sherwood Forest (June 2, 2018)
- Nonie Werbe Kraus Nature Preserve (June 7, 2018)
- Mounds State Park area (July 15, 2018)
- Conner Prairie (Aug. 12, 2018)
- Urban Wilderness Trail (Aug. 24, 2018)
- Blatchley Nature Study Club (April 20, 2019)
- Spicer Lake Nature Preserve (May 4, 2019)
- White River: Cicero/Strawtown (July 20, 2019)
- White River: Broad Ripple to Rocky Ripple (July 27, 2019)
- White River: Newfields to GM Stamping Plant (Aug. 10, 2019)
- The Center at Donaldson (Sept. 21, 2019)
- Camp Dellwood (Oct. 27, 2019)
- White River: Hazel Landing Park to Oliver’s Woods (July 24, 2021)
- Holliday Park (Sept. 18, 2021)
During this unprecedented time, it can be difficult to take time for ourselves, to slow down and to find joy in the small constants in life. So we’re encouraging you to pause and connect with the Indiana landscapes that have inspired generations of Hoosiers.
We’re excited to share Campfires: Slow Moments, a program that encourages Hoosiers like you to slow down and appreciate the beauty Indiana has to offer.
- Go to your favorite Indiana nature spot. Bring your picnic blanket, pup or pent-up children. Stay for a while. Look. Listen. Scout the area for the best filming location.
- After finding your scenic spot, take a minute-long slow video. Capture the sights and sounds. Stay in the moment—don’t worry about production value.
- Make sure you save the video to your camera roll. You’re in luck—slow videos don’t need to be edited or cut.
- Post your slow video to Instagram, tagging @INHumanities and using #INSlowMoments. Share where you filmed your video, if you’d like, or keep your special Indiana spot a secret.
Partners and Funders
- Nina Mason Pulliam Charitable Trust
- Upland Brewing Co.
- Partners for the White River
Explore our other programs
INconversation is our standard program model for hosting interesting, participatory and insightful conversations with local, regional and national humanists, experts and thought leaders.
Indiana Women’s Suffrage Centennialprogram
In 2020 the Indiana Women’s Suffrage Centennial, catalyzed by Indiana Humanities, the Indianapolis Propylaeum, the Indiana Historical Society and the Indiana Historical Bureau, helped mark the 100th anniversary of the 19th Amendment.