- This event has passed.
Join us for a trek on the banks of the Calumet River in Northwest Indiana. We’ll be hiking through the Grand Calumet River Conservation Area (beginning at Seidner Dune & Swale Nature Preserve) with The Nature Conservancy. The trail traverses a mosaic of habitats, including a globally rare natural community known as dune and swale. Along the way we’ll see an impressive variety of flora and fauna, along with possible sightings of the great white egrets, and green and blue herons that frequent the river and wetlands.
Each trek is co-led by a humanities scholar and a naturalist. Along the way, we stop to read short writings by nature writers. Each trek concludes with a shared meal and discussion around a campfire.
Your ticket price includes a campfire meal, Upland Brewing Co. Beers and snacks for the trail, in addition to any entrance or rental fees associated with the trek.
WHERE: Seidner Dune & Swale Nature Preserve
WHEN: July 30, 2022 10 a.m. – 12 p.m. CDT (This is an English language trek; Spanish language trek offered at 1 p.m.)
SCHOLAR-FACILITATOR: Ava Tomasula y Garcia
TRAIL DIFFICULTY: Easy
THINGS TO KEEP IN MIND:
- A limited number of free tickets are available based on need, please contact Sam Opsahl at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Depending on weather, some trails may be wet, so wear shoes that can handle the mud!
- Please bring a reusable water bottle to take with you on the outing.
- We will send a final confirmation two days before the event with driving and parking instructions and any other updates.
- In case of inclement weather, Indiana Humanities will cancel the event and alert you via email at least two hours prior to event start time. If the event is cancelled, you will be offered a ticket to another Campfires event of your choice.
- Upland Brewing Co. beer will available to those 21 and older.
- Events are designed for ages 12 and up.
- Refunds are not available after 72 hours in advance.