Indiana Humanities’ One State / One Story program will offer book-related events across the state.
More than 30 Indiana communities from Merrillville to New Albany will host events in 2022 as part of a statewide read organized by Indiana Humanities.
This year, the organization’s One State / One Story program is encouraging Hoosiers to read Aimee Nezhukumatathil’s World of Wonders: In Praise of Fireflies, Whale Sharks and Other Astonishments. The book was selected to help explore themes related to Indiana Humanities’ Unearthed initiative, which encourages Hoosiers to examine how we shape the environment and how it shaped us.
Nezhukumatathil’s collection of short essays explores the wonders of nature which defy easy depiction. Through her experiences, she shares guidance she’s received from our world’s fierce and funny creatures. The axolotl teaches us to smile, even in the face of unkindness; the touch-me-not plant shows us how to shake off unwanted advances; the narwhal demonstrates how to survive in hostile environments. Even in the strange and the unlovely, Nezhukumatathil finds beauty and kinship. For it is this way with wonder: it requires that we are curious enough to look past the distractions in order to fully appreciate the world’s gifts. These lessons are further supplemented by beautiful illustrations by Fumi Mini Nakamura throughout the book.
Each Community Read host will organize at least three programs related to the book. They receive a grant of $750, copies of the book, promotional swag and more from Indiana Humanities to support their programs. Indiana Humanities has hosted two other One State / One Story statewide reads of The Year We Left Home and Frankenstein.
“We are excited to have these partner organizations serve as hosts for our statewide read,” said Keira Amstutz, president and CEO of Indiana Humanities. “Exploring this shared text across the state will spark conversations among Hoosiers about our natural world and our place in it.”
COMMUNITY READ LOCATIONS
The following 31 organizations have been awarded Community Read grants. Details about the dates and times of their events will be announced later by the local hosts and on our website.
- Anderson Public Library, Anderson
- Attica Public Library, Attica
- Bartholomew Public Library, Columbus
- Brown County Public Library, Nashville
- Camden, Flora and Delphi Public Libraries, Camden
- Clark Pleasant Branch-Johnson County Public Library, New Whiteland
- Crawfordsville District Public Library, Crawfordsville
- Dubois Branch Library, Dubois
- Fulton County Public Library, Rochester
- Goshen Public Library, Goshen
- Historic Hoosier Theater, Vevay
- Indiana University East, Richmond
- Indiana Writers Center, Indianapolis
- Irvington Preparatory Academy, Indianapolis
- James Whitcomb Riley Museum Home, Indianapolis
- Jeffersonville Township Public Library, Jeffersonville
- Lake County Public Library, Merrillville
- Ligonier Public Library, Ligonier
- Lowell Public Library, Lowell
- Middlebury Public Library, Middlebury
- Morrisson-Reeves Library, Richmond
- Peabody Public Library, Whitley
- Porter County Public Library System, Valparaiso
- Providence Cristo Rey High School, Indianapolis
- Remington Carpenter Township Public Library, Remington
- Ruthmere Foundation, Elkhart
- The Floyd County Library, New Albany
- Tipton County Public Library, Tipton
- University High School of Indiana, Carmel
- Vigo County Public Library, Terre Haute
- Walton Public Library, Walton