Campfires: White River Float (Indianapolis)Hosted by Indiana Humanities
Join us for an exciting journey down the White River!
Join us for an exciting journey down the White River! We’ll float through a portion of northeast Indianapolis as we explore a popular spot from a new angle and consider the ways we can continue working to preserve and connect with our local waterways.
On this float, all rafting materials, including life vests and oars, will be provided. Additionally, the day will begin with a safety training before we head out in 6-person rafts. We will float the river for approximately 2-3 hours, pausing periodically to hear about restoration efforts on the White River and to read and discuss environmental writings.
Our float will be co-led by a humanities scholar and a naturalist from Friends of the White River. Our float will conclude with a shared meal and discussion around a campfire.
Your ticket price includes a campfire meal, Upland Brewing Co. beers, and snacks for the trail, in addition to any entrance or rental fees associated with the journey.
WHERE: Oliver’s Woods Nature Preserve (We will park at Oliver’s Woods, shuttle to Hazel Landing Park, then float back down river to end with a campfire and conversation at Oliver’s Woods.)
WHEN: Saturday, June 3, 2023, 8 a.m. – 1 p.m. EDT
FLOAT DIFFICULTY: Easy
THINGS TO KEEP IN MIND:
• Space is limited so advance registration is required. If all tickets are claimed, you will automatically be added to the waitlist and be notified if tickets should become available.
• All participants should bring: appropriate footwear that will get wet (No Crocs or Flip Flops), comfortable outdoor clothing (it will get wet and dirty), a Filled Reusable Water Bottle (no Glass please), and sun protection (hat, sunblock, etc).
• Life vests and paddles are required and provided, but participants are welcome to bring their own. Dry bags will also be provided.
• We will send a final confirmation two days before the event with driving and parking instructions and any other updates.
• In case of inclement weather, Indiana Humanities will cancel the event and alert you via email at least two hours prior to event start time. If the event is cancelled, you will receive a full refund.
• All Campfires are designed for ages 12 and up.
• Upland Brewing Co. beer will available to those 21 and older following the float.
• Refunds are not available after 72 hours in advance.
• A limited number of free tickets are available based on need, please contact Sam Opsahl at email@example.com.
Indiana Humanities’ award-winning Campfires program pairs nature and literature to spark conversations about Indiana’s future. Something about the combination of wild places, great writing, a warm campfire and cold beer gets Hoosiers talking in fresh and surprising ways about the world around us and our place in it. We are grateful to our friends at Upland Brewing Co. for providing us with delicious, cold beer. www.IndianaHumanities.org/Campfires
ABOUT INDIANA HUMANITIES
Indiana Humanities connects people, opens minds and enriches lives by creating and facilitating programs that encourage Hoosiers to think, read and talk. www.IndianaHumanities.org
ABOUT FRIENDS OF THE WHITE RIVER
Friends of the White River advocate for a clean, healthy river eco-system. We will secure the necessary resources to educate, inform, and collaborate with the community, including individuals, educators, government, business and other organizations, to sustain the long-term viability of the White River as a unique natural resource of Indiana now and for future generations.
Masks are optional at this event. A full refund will be granted to anyone who does not feel well on the day of the event. Please do not attend if you have any COVID-19 symptoms. Any updates to the COVID-19 protocols will be communicated to attendees at least 24 hours prior to the event start time.
Indiana Humanities will make reasonable modifications to ensure that everyone has an equal opportunity to enjoy our programs. If you need an accommodation, please email Sam Opsahl at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Indiana Humanities takes photos and video at its events. These photos and video may appear on the Indiana Humanities website and in promotional materials. Your attendance at this event indicates your consent to have your image photographed and/or videotaped, and your permission to be interviewed, if appropriate.