Campfires: Buckner Cave (Bloomington)Hosted by Indiana Humanities
Join us for a new type of Campfires trek as we journey down to Bloomington and explore the spaces in and around a local cave site!
On this Indiana Humanities Campfire, we’ll explore a trail through the Richard Blenz Nature Conservancy near Bloomington, Indiana. Our journey will take us down a rocky incline and into Buckner Cave, a system of passageways approximately three miles long through the karst topography of Monroe County. We’ll visit the entry room of the cave and learn about the cave’s history and natural features.
The Campfire trek will be co-led by a humanities scholar and a naturalist. Along the trail and in the cave, we’ll stop to read short writings by nature writers. The trek will conclude with a shared meal and discussion around a campfire.
Your ticket price includes a campfire meal, Upland Brewing Co. beers, and snacks for the trail in addition to any entrance or rental fees associated with the trek.
WHERE: Buckner Cave
WHEN: April 15, 2023, 12 – 4 p.m. EDT
SCHOLAR-FACILITATOR: Kevin McKelvey
TRAIL DIFFICULTY: While safety equipment will be provided, attendees should note that this will be one of the more rigorous hiking experiences we offer. Attendees will have to fill out waivers beforehand and should only sign up for this trek if they can confidently navigate significantly rocky inclines and uneven surfaces.
THINGS TO KEEP IN MIND
- A limited number of free tickets are available based on need, please contact Sam Opsahl at email@example.com.
- Depending on weather, some trails may be wet, so wear shoes that can handle the mud!
- Please bring a reuseable water bottle to take with you on the outing.
- We will send a final confirmation two days before the event with driving and parking instructions and any other updates.
- In case of inclement weather, Indiana Humanities will cancel the event and alert you via email at least two hours prior to event start time. If the event is cancelled, you will be offered a refund or a ticket to another Campfires event of your choice.
- This event is designed for guests 12 and over.
- Upland Brewing Co. beer will be available to all attendees 21 and over.
- Refunds are not available after 72 hours in advance.
Indiana Humanities’ award-winning Campfires program pairs nature and literature to spark conversations about Indiana’s future. Something about the combination of wild places, great writing, a warm campfire and cold beer gets Hoosiers talking in fresh and surprising ways about the world around us and our place in it. www.IndianaHumanities.org/Campfires
ABOUT INDIANA HUMANITIES
Indiana Humanities connects people, opens minds and enriches lives by creating and facilitating programs that encourage Hoosiers to think, read and talk. www.IndianaHumanities.org
Masks are optional at this event. A full refund will be granted to anyone who does not feel well on the day of the event. Please do not attend if you have any COVID-19 symptoms. Any updates to the COVID-19 protocols will be communicated to attendees at least 24 hours prior to the event start time.
Indiana Humanities will make reasonable modifications to ensure that everyone has an equal opportunity to enjoy our programs. If you need an accommodation, please email Sam Opsahl at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Indiana Humanities takes photos and video at its events. These photos and video may appear on the Indiana Humanities website and in promotional materials. Your attendance at this event indicates your consent to have your image photographed and/or videotaped, and your permission to be interviewed, if appropriate.