Since 1986, the Indiana Humanities office has been located in the Meredith Nicholson House, a historic home in the Old Northside neighborhood of Indianapolis. Named for the original builder, an Indiana author most famous for his novel The House of a Thousand Candles (which he wrote while living in the house on 1500 North Delaware Street), the house was built in 1903-1904 and is believed to be the first Georgian/Colonial Revival style home in Indianapolis.
When the house was built, the Old Northside was home to some of Indianapolis’ most prominent citizens. Now, the active neighborhood includes residents, nonprofits and businesses that have a profound interest in protecting the quality and aesthetic character of this historic district.
Since Nicholson sold the house in 1923, a variety of families and businesses have called it home, including: the Arthur Jordan Conservatory of Music, a doctor’s office, a restaurant (Meredith Manor Dining Room) and an apartment building. Bob Beckmann, Jr., purchased the house from the Historic Landmarks Foundation of Indianapolis (now Indiana Landmarks) in 1979 and extensively refurbished the property before Indiana Humanities acquired it.
Today, the house is an active humanities hub, welcoming other nonprofits in for meetings and discussions, hosting lectures and conversations, and opening its doors for humanities-inspired programming.