ABOUT NEXT INDIANA CAMPFIRES
After a fun and unforgettable 2016 slate of statewide excursions, Next Indiana Campfires is back!
Indiana’s landscapes have inspired generations of Hoosiers. The literature they’ve written and the state parks system they founded are legacies we enjoy today. What will we leave for generations to come? Next Indiana Campfires uses nature and literature to ignite conversations about Indiana’s future.
Trek and talk with us! During the outing, a humanities scholar will lead attendees by foot, stopping periodically to read aloud the words of important Hoosier authors. A naturalist will also be on the trail to identify interesting plants, animals and other Hoosier oddities. We’ll wrap up around a campfire with a Upland Brewing Co. beer and discuss connections between nature, literature and place.
HEARD ON THE TRAIL
“The Next Indiana Campfires program is terrific. I can’t say enough good things about connecting people to Indiana outdoors and Hoosier writers! Indiana Humanities has hit a home run.” — Susan Sutton, two-time program participant
ABOUT THE EXCURSION
There’s nothing better than a crisp autumn night in Indiana. Join us as we explore the Tom and Jane Dustin Nature Preserve for a 90-minute trek, which includes an unusual and distinctive tunnel valley formation created by glacial forces and present-day Cedar Creek, one of three state-designated Natural and Scenic Rivers.
Difficulty level: Easy, though of the group decides, we have the option of exploring the 80-foot ravine along Cedar Creek
THINGS TO KEEP IN MIND
- A limited number of free tickets are available based on need, please contact Leah Nahmias at email@example.com.
- Depending on weather, some trails may be wet, so wear shoes that can handle the mud!
- Please bring a reuseable water bottle to take with you on the outing.
- Events are designed for ages 12 and up.
- Upland Brewing Co. beer will available to those 21 and older.
- In case of inclement weather, Indiana Humanities will cancel the event and alert you via email at least two hours prior to event start time. If the event is cancelled, you will be offered a ticket to another Next Indiana Campfires event of your choice.