The Kurt Vonnegut Museum and Library (KVML) will once again celebrate the American Library Association’s Banned Books Week September 27 – October 23. This year’s planned events will include virtual and (hopefully) in-person events at KVML’s new “forever home” located downtown on the historic Indiana Avenue.
Banned Books Week is the annual national celebration of the freedom to read, which raises awareness about censorship and freedom of expression and each year KVML dedicates a week of activities to enlighten, entertain and educate. As a main programming element, we invite an artist, educator, or other passionate visitor to become our Banned Books Week activist to live in the museum behind a wall of real banned books in protest of the infringement of the right to free expression. This year’s theme is Civic Engagement and we are honored to have Indianapolis poet Manon Voice as “activist in residence” to engage with our Banned Books Week visitors.
• Sunday, September 27, 2 pm: Securing the Vote: Women’s Suffrage in Indiana exhibit and virtual presentation by Indianapolis Business Journal Managing Editor Leslie Weidenbener (option of virtual or on-site exhibit). Tickets: $12-$15 (or virtual week pass).
• Monday, September 28, 6 pm: Free Speech in Cancel Culture – Participants share their thoughts on communicating in society these days and share a passage from their favorite banned book. Look forward to hearing from poet Manon Voice, James Madison, Mayor Joe Hogsett, and others. Tickets: $12-$15 (or virtual week pass).
• Tuesday, September 29, 6 pm: A History of Protesting for Change – Reading and discussion with biographer Dan Simon, poet Manon Voice, and IUPUI Professor of Education Dr. Lasana Kazembe. Tickets: $12-$15 (or virtual week pass).
• Wednesday, September 30, 6 pm: Radical Reads Reading Circle with IUPUI Professor of Education Dr. Lasana Kazembe, featuring the work of James Baldwin to introduce this ongoing program. Tickets: $12-$15 (or virtual week pass).
• Thursday, October 1, 6 pm: KVML FUNDRAISER SPECIAL EVENT with PHOENIX THEATRE! Tickets for members start at $100 and includes a week pass for the rest of Banned Books Week virtual events. Readings from Kurt Vonnegut: WordPlay, a new original play by David Hoppe featuring local actors led by producer Constance Macy and in partnership with the Phoenix Theatre. The Phoenix and KVML will be making a special announcement that night! Click here for tickets.
• Friday, October 2, 6 pm: Virtual reading and interview with Ryan North, adaptor of Slaughterhouse-Five graphic novel. Additionally, “Art in Politics” has its First Friday Gallery Opening (option of virtual or on-site) Tickets: $12-$15 (or virtual week pass).
• Saturday, October 3, 11 am to 12 pm: Free virtual events! Release of KVML’s annual literary journal So It Goes with contributors and artists reading and showing their work. 12 pm – 3 pm. Youth Writing Program Open House with workshops including Writing for Graphic Novels with Ryan North; Writing for Change with Dr. Lasana Kazembe; and Writing for Fun with John David Anderson. Click here for tickets.
Questions? Email Becky at email@example.com