This session is the second of the three-day High School Journalism Institute 2019 Teachers Workshop, which runs from Monday, June 24, through Wednesday, June 26. Registration is required (see the RSVP link on this page); the $15 fee provides access to the entire three-day workshop.
Topics for Tuesday, June 25
Keynote: Determining the Good, Bad and Ugly of the Internet
During this activity, you’ll think of ways to integrate news/info literacy into your curriculum by addressing NAMLE goals—access, analyze, evaluate, create and communicate—using media in all its forms.
- Thinking critically about images
- Recognizing opinion and propaganda
- The power of storytelling—narrative nonfiction and podcasts
- Pulling back the curtain on strategic media (public relations and advertising)
- Free and inexpensive digital tools for making media
- Media law and ethics crash course for educators
This program received funding from a Humanities Initiative Grant, through the support of the Indiana Newspaper in Education Foundation.