ABOUT NEXT INDIANA CAMPFIRES
After a fun and unforgettable 2016 slate of statewide excursions, Next Indiana Campfires is back!
Indiana’s landscapes have inspired generations of Hoosiers. The literature they’ve written and the state parks system they founded are legacies we enjoy today. What will we leave for generations to come? Next Indiana Campfires pairs nature and literature to ignite conversations about Indiana’s future.
Trek and talk with us! During the outing, a humanities scholar will lead attendees by foot, stopping periodically to read aloud the words of important Hoosier authors. A naturalist will also be on the trail to identify interesting plants, animals and other Hoosier oddities. We’ll wrap up around a campfire with an Upland Brewing Co. beer and discuss connections between nature, literature and place.
HEARD ON THE TRAIL
“The Next Indiana Campfires program is terrific. I can’t say enough good things about connecting people to Indiana outdoors and Hoosier writers! Indiana Humanities has hit a home run.” — Susan Sutton, two-time program participant
ABOUT THE EXCURSION
2017 marks the 50th anniversary of the Nature Preserves Act, a 1967 law that creates “living museums” by permanently protecting naturally significant areas around the Hoosier state. Join us as we hike through one of Indiana’s newest dedicated nature preserves, a hardwood forest along Fall Creek near Mechanicsburg in Henry County.
Difficulty level: Moderate—our trek will take us over some small hills
THINGS TO KEEP IN MIND
- A limited number of free tickets are available based on need, please contact Leah Nahmias at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Depending on weather, some trails may be wet, so wear shoes that can handle the mud!
- Please bring a reuseable water bottle to take with you on the outing.
- Events are designed for ages 12 and up.
- Upland Brewing Co. beer will available to those 21 and older.
- In case of inclement weather, Indiana Humanities will cancel the event and alert you via email at least two hours prior to event start time. If the event is cancelled, you will be offered a ticket to another Next Indiana Campfires event of your choice.
Special thanks to Ball Brothers Foundation for supporting this event.